Annapolis or Carmel: Which Will Be 2013’s Best City for Pet Travelers?
Update: Yesterday politics infringed on our tournament when Maryland’s legislature failed to pass breed neutral legislation and overturn an opinion issued in a court case last year. Because Maryland’s lawmakers meet in regular session only 90 days per year, the next chance they’ll have to consider the new law is January 8, 2014.
The result is that the legal opinion issued in April 2012 remains in effect. That case declared pit bulls “inherently dangerous” and assigned “strict liability” to pit bull owners and third parties who have the ability to control whether pit bulls are allowed on their property (including landlords, veterinarians, kennels, animal shelters, rescue groups, and pet sitters), making them immediately financially responsible for bites or other injuries. The scope of the ruling was later clarified by Maryland’s Court of Appeals to exclude mixed-breed dogs.
It’s understandable that this unfortunate news would have an impact on this contest. Our intention was to provide a fun-filled way for people to support their favorite pet friendly destinations by extolling their virtues and sharing their hidden gems. Yesterday’s news gives us the chance to raise awareness about the breed specific legislation that is plaguing our nation, and I’m grateful for that opportunity. It’s also wonderful that no matter which city wins, considerable donations have been pledged to support pets in need.
My request is this: please, be kind to one another. We are all pet lovers here – win or lose, ultimately we’re all on the same side. Healthy competition focusing on the positive is fun, and sharing information in a respectful manner is appreciated. However, things have gone too far in the comments below this post and I will not tolerate anyone being profane, degrading, or rude. Thank you.
It’s come down to the legendary battle of East vs. West in the Best City for Pet Travelers tournament. And YOUR VOTES will decide who will claim this year’s title!
The campaigns have raged through six rounds and many lovely, pet friendly cities have fallen. Now we’re down to the final match-up … this one’s for all the cookies!
Carmel, with it’s pet friendly history and dynamite location on the Pacific Ocean, squares off against Annapolis, with it’s long list of pet friendly virtues and killer position on Chesapeake Bay.
Expect a dog fight … because only one city can be crowned 2013’s Best City for Pet Travelers!
In addition to the considerable bragging rights, the devoted fan that nominated each of these cities will receive:
- A three-night stay in the Kimpton hotel of their choosing – the pet friendliest hotels EVER!
- Super pet travel gear from Kurgo – including car harnesses, backpacks, collars, leash, coat, dog bed and more (Value: $300+)
- Human-grade, dehydrated dog food (perfect for traveling), supplements, and treats from The Honest Kitchen
- A Critter Zone air purifier – eliminate odors, bacteria, and other pollutants to keep your home or car smelling fresh
- A convenient travel bag set, complete with folding bowls, and toys from Petmate
- A snazzy matching collar and leash set from 2 Hounds Design (makers of the no-pull harness every pet travler needs)
- A fantastic Sherpa soft-sided pet carrier – the durable and comfortable way to travel with your small pet
This contest is now closed. We’ll announce the winner tomorrow.
Please vote once before Wednesday, April 10th at 11:59 pm EST. Your votes will determine which city is 2013’s Best City for Pet Travelers!
- Carmel (Carmel-by-the-Sea), California (Sadie W.) (55%, 7,093 Votes)
- Annapolis, Maryland (Carol L.) (45%, 5,719 Votes)
Total Voters: 12,811
The winner will be finalized once the votes have been verified by our diligent authentication team. We’ll announce the Champion on Thursday, April 11th.